We really appreciate every single fundraising effort made to help our work. We've put together some guidance to make sure that you, those involved in fundraising and the general public are safe when doing so.

Using our logo

We have available materials that feature our logo for your use. If you wish to use our logo in any other way, please contact [email protected]

All publicity must make clear you are raising money in aid of Hackney Night Shelter and must include our charity number: 1139183.

Holding a collection

You can contact us to receive a fundraising box or bucket and we will send you a Letter of Authority to permit you to fundraise on our behalf. This letter is only valid if you have the correct permissions to hold your collection, see below for more information.

Collections on private property

If the collection is to take place on private premises, (e.g. shopping centres, car parks, train station forecourts) it is your responsibility to obtain written permission from the site holders or owners.

Collecting on public property

With street collections or those held in a public place, such as the pavement outside a station or store, you are required to obtain permission from your local authority, or the Metropolitan Police if in London.  ‘House to house’ collections also refers to pubs, offices and factories.

Councils will have details of how to apply for permissions on their websites. This process can take time, so it’s important to plan ahead.  Please note we do not undertake house to house collections or wish others to do so.

Other guidance

  • Hackney Night Shelter does not supply ID badges for collectors. Please take your Letter of Authority with you to collections.
  • Anyone collecting money in public must be over 16.
  • You can only collect using closed boxes or buckets, so please ensure yours are sealed with the sticker provided.

If you have any questions please contact the office at [email protected] or Tel: 020 8533 5255 during office hours.

Raffles, lotteries and prize draws

Raffles, prize draws or lotteries are a great way to give your event a real boost, but they are subject to gambling legislation. Depending on what you’re planning, you might need a license. 

For small, simple raffles on the day of your event you do not have to get a special license. Just make sure you follow these rules:

  • All tickets should be sold on the same premises and on the same day as the raffle is drawn.
  • You must draw the name of the winner before the end of your event.

If you’re holding a larger raffle or lottery and plan to sell tickets at more than one venue, or over several days, you will need to purchase a local lottery license from your council. For more information, please consult your local council. Below are some legal guidelines that you should be aware of when holding a large raffle or lottery.

  • You should charge a standard price for each ticket.
  • You may not sell tickets on the street or house to house.
  • Anyone under the age of 16 may not sell or purchase tickets.
  • Tickets must state that the lottery is in aid of Hackney Night Shelter and they include your name and address and date of the lottery draw.
  • Prizes that involve alcohol should only awarded if the event is being held on licensed premises.
  • Any prizes that are purchased should be worth a total of no more than £250. Donated prizes can be of unlimited value.

If you have any questions about organising raffles in aid of Hackney Night Shelter, please contact us at[email protected] or call 020 8533 5255 during office hours.  

Safety and insurance

If you’re organising an event, you should think about any special licences or insurance you might need, and investigate whether the venue you are using is covered. Think about potential risks to your supporters and carry out an assessment to ensure that you’re keeping everyone safe.

We cannot accept responsibility for the safety of your event or anyone who participates in it.

Food and drink

If you're serving or selling food then it's vital you follow Food Hygiene Regulations. You need a liquor licence for any event selling alcohol. You can apply for one through your local magistrates court.

Get permission

Depending on where you're planning to fundraise, you should check if you need permission to do so. 

If you’re holding a big event or collection and it’s in a public place, you might need to get consent from your local authority. If you’re collecting on private property, make sure the owner has approved it.

Hackney Night Shelter is a Hackney Doorways project
Registered Charity number 1139183 Company number 07064774
The Old School Rooms, 2 Powerscroft Road, E5 0PU
Log in | Powered by White Fuse